Become an IEEE Senior Member
Senior Member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. IEEE members can self-nominate, or be nominated, for Senior Member grade. Benefits include:
- Professional recognition by your peers and the IEEE
- Letter of commendation will be sent to your employer
- Senior Member Plaque
- Complimentary Society Membership
The Senior Member Committee can help you achieve your Senior Member status. Contact the Systems Council Senior Member Committee Chair, Walt Downing, for more information or for help with obtaining endorsements.
To be eligible for elevation to Senior Member grade, candidates must:
- Be engineers, scientists, educators, technical executives, or originators in IEEE-designated fields
- Have experience reflecting professional maturity
- Have been in professional practice for at least 10 years (with some credit for certain degrees)
- Show significant performance over a period of at least 5 of their years in professional practice
Prospective individuals who would like to apply for Senior Member grade must first join IEEE and then submit a Senior Member application form. In addition, candidates for Senior Member grade must supply three references from current IEEE members holding the grade of Fellow, Senior Member, or Honorary Member. The IEEE Systems Council Senior Member Committee can help candidates obtain references.
Do you know colleagues that are eligible for elevation to IEEE Senior Member grade? If so, please consider nominating them as candidates. Here’s how:
- Login to the IEEE website with your membership credentials.
- Go to the Member Grade Elevation page
- Click on the link “Individuals may apply for Senior Member grade online”
- Click on the link “BEGIN NOMINATION PROCESS” and follow the instructions to nominate a candidate.
There is no additional fee to apply for Senior Member grade.